The Kenneth P. Burbidge Jr. Family Athletics Academic Center, which opened in May of 2001, is a national-class academic facility. Reserved for Utah’s varsity student-athletes, the Burbidge Center is known for its aesthetics, technological offerings and academic service. The building features a student-athlete lounge, classroom, individual and group tutoring rooms, study table, computer lab, and offices for student-athlete support personnel.
Utah student-athletes receive award-winning support. The Utes CHAMPS Program has received the prestigious NCAA Program of Excellence Award.
• Student-athletes receive priority registration.
• iPads are provided to all scholarship student-athletes. Apps for word processing (Pages, spreadsheets (Numbers), presentations (Keynote), note taking and recording of lectures (Notability) and electronic textbooks (Kno) are also provided.
• Academic mentors are provided to all entering freshmen and to anyone who requests one.
• Tutors are available for all classes offered at the University and are offered on an individual, group, or drop-in basis. Tutors may travel with the team to away meets and tests may be proctored while at away meets.
• Laptop computers may be checked out for use during travel to away meets.
• A summer "Bridge" program for entering freshmen.
• Summer school and fifth-year scholarships are provided.
NCAA Program of Excellence Award
department placement personnel help student-athletes find job shadowing experiences,
internships, summer and post graduate employment.
Student-athletes are encouraged to develop their leadership skills in the Utes Life Skills Program that includes:
• Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC)
• Student Athlete Mentor (SAMS)
• Community Service
• Career Development
• Leadership Conferences
• Utes Speakers Bureau
Follow Utah Gymnastics
2013-14 Gymnastics Team Academics
Utah finished the 2013-14 academic year with a team cumulative GPA of 3.7827.
2013-14 Scholastic All-Americans
Twelve Utah gymnasts, along with two student coaches, were named Scholar All-Americans by the National Association of Collegiate Gymnastics Coaches / Women (NACGC/W): Hailee Hansen (4.0), Breanna Hughes (3.971), Tory Wilson (3.86) Kailah Delaney (3.841), Mary Beth Lofgren (3.84), Becky Tutka (3.84), Georgia Dabritz (3.81), Nansy Damianova (3.81), Haley Lange (3.79), Lia Del Priore (3.76), Kassandra Lopez (3.74), Corrie Lothrop (3.64), and student coaches Alyssa Gale (3.95) and Victoria Shanley (3.76).
2013-14 Pac-12 Academic All-Conference
The Pac-12 champion Utah gymnastics team is also a champion in the classroom, earning 10 Pac-12 Conference All-Academic awards--the most of any school. Utes received seven of the 12 first-team citations and also had three gymnasts make the second team.
Earning first-team Pac-12 All-Academic honors were Breanna Hughes (3.98 cumulative GPA), Hailee Hansen (3.96), Mary Beth Lofgren (3.88), Kailah Delaney (3.86), Becky Tutka (3.81), Georgia Dabritz (3.77) and Lia Del Priore (3.74). Making the second team were Tory Wilson (3.66), Corrie Lothrop (3.62) and Nansy Damianova (3.61).
The University of Utah - Imagine U
ESPN The Magazine Academic All-Americans
2010 - Daria Bijak
2009 - Kristina Baskett
2008 - Kristina Baskett
2004 - Melissa Vituj
2003 - Theresa Kulikowski
2002 - Theresa Kulikowski
2002 - Shannon Bowles
1998 - Molly Northrop
1993 - Kristen Kenoyer
In 2003, Theresa Kulikowski was named ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American of the Year.